Monday, January 12, 2009

Music STILL speaks to my soul

I have to write about music again, because I had a new experience with the joy involved. As you know, in our church we often only sing the verses in a hymn that are in the staff. There are other verses, but they don't get sung as often. This Sunday I was looking over the last verses of "How Firm a Foundation" and I was absolutley blown away. I think sometimes when we sing songs we miss the meaning because we sing them and either don't pay attention to the words or the song breaks are not in line with the words, so there is a bit of a loss. SO I was reading the other verses and it hit me. The words in the other verses are amazing. I was especially hit with the 5th verse; it talks about dross to consume and gold to refine. I had not ever really thought about the words and the message, but as I actually looked and read and let it work on me, the song took on such a stronger meaning, especially for me at this time in my life. I would strongly encourage you to read songs, not just while you are singing them, but to read them as they are written, there is great power!

2 comments:

Naazju said...

I *love* How Firm a Foundation! The last four verses make me so happy! I also like the resolve in the last one "I'll never, no, never, no, never forsake!"

Happy. Day. :D

Kris10 said...

I LOVE the last verse too! I have for some time, and on the Called to Serve MOTAB CD, they sing 1-3 and 7, so I get to hear it a lot. But the 5th verse was jumping out of the page at me this time...I LOVE IT!!!!