Sunday, May 27, 2018

A Grateful Heart

     As a part of a wellness challenge through work, I have accepted the challenge to focus at least 10 minutes a day for the next few weeks on focusing on my blessings. I figured accountability through posting on a blog would be good motivation to set that time aside and do it! I don't know if I will be perfect at it, but I am excited to try. Our guidelines included this nugget of wisdom:

Gratitude is thankful appreciation; it’s focusing on what we have rather than on what we lack. Developing gratitude is one of the best things we can do to improve our overall sense of well-being. It helps us to feel more alive, overcome adversity better, have less stress, be more generous and forgiving, build better relationships, and find greater joy in life.
     
Today, I am grateful for the gratitude I already have, and for the efforts I put into expressing it. It may sound strange, but I feel like my "Happiness is..." posts on Facebook are a way that I express gratitude. Some days it is ridiculously easy to share something that makes me happy, or something for which I am grateful. Other days, especially when I first started posting, it was something random that I sometimes had to take a long time to reach. 

The reason I started posting "Happiness is..." was because I was in a personal dark place, relying on others for validation, and having gone through one of the worst emotional experiences of my life had left me depleted and hurting. I was tired of feeling so down and stuck, so I decided to find something to be happy about (in others words, to find gratitude) in my posts. While I have not posted every day, and there are some exceptions to my postings, it has been wonderful to find gratitude over the last 6 or so years. 

I am grateful for the gratitude in my heart and expressed through my keyboard. I look forward to letting others know of my gratitude for them. 

No comments: