Sunday, November 23, 2008

Burnt to a Crisp

Our family has Family Home Evening on Sunday nights. This week was my turn to provide the treat. I decided to make s'mores. The small issue is that our stove is an electric one; it makes it a little tricky to toast marshmallows over the coils. I know it's not impossible-my wonderful roommates have done it in the past. However, it takes a lot of patience, which I don't have when trying to get the treat for 5 people at once. My mom thought that maybe we could use the oven and use the broiler and that would be great.

I assembled the grahams and then put the mallow. We put the rack on the top, and waited so patiently for the oven to heat up. I put the mallows in with the intention of toasting them and then pressing the chocolate in after it was out, and then the other graham on top. Oh, the best laid plans.

About a minute later, there was a unique smell and a little smoke coming out of the oven. The smoke detector went off. I quickly took care of that and went to the oven. When I opened the oven, flames flew up at my face, so I quickly closed the door.

"Um...dad? There are flames in the oven..."

The kids quick response was to jump up and see for themselves while I backed away to avoid the flames. My dad opened it back up, took the tray out and blew out the mallows like a birthday cake. They looked so special. I tried it again, making a few changes and had much better results. Derek ended up eating one of the original s'mores, and he liked it. a lot. Don't ask.

Here are a few pictures of the "s'mores":


5 comments:

Miriam said...

Wow, those are some really burnt smores...I can't believe your brother eat one. I miss you! How is Oregon? What are you holiday plans? Have you gone through the temple?

rantipoler said...

Wow - that's pretty scary, but it does make for an awesome story. :)

Natalia said...

Domestic goddesses unite! :D

Jessica said...

hahahahahahahaha, that's fabulous! Who would have ever thought to try the oven. I'm still for Heather and Jennifer's method.

Kris10 said...

Jess, I assume you mean over the stove coils. If it were just for me, that would have been fine, but trying to do it for 5 people, I just didn't have the patience ;)